Poetry news via Google, MSN, and Yahoo!
- Happy Poem in Your Pocket Day!
Happy Poem in Your Pocket Day! What better way to celebrate the end of National Poetry Month by keeping a poem with you or sharing your favorite poem with your loved ones? Poem in Your Pocket day first began in New York City in 2002 by the Office of the Mayor.
- Working with young writers has shown me we have so much to learn from teen girls
I was part of a group of volunteers and staff that helped edit and produce the WriteGirl anthology Sound Generation: The Resonant Voices of Teen Girls, I spent several weeks immersed in the poetry and prose of over 150 girls from across Los Angeles.
- I love poems â€“ Readilearn
I love poems. Children do too. Poetry is a great way of introducing children to the joy of language, as well as to features such as rhythm, rhyme, alliteration, similes and metaphors. What is taught through poetry can be as simple or as complex as required ...
- Can poetry fight cancer? Facebook fund drive for Chandigarh student shows how
The poetry writing alone has gathered about â‚¹2 lakh ... He adds, â€œNow, I have so much strength thanks to these kids, but I donâ€™t have any words for what theyâ€™ve done.â€
- OutWest Concert Series | Tom Hiatt - SCVTV (press release) (blog)
OutWest Concert Series | Tom HiattSCVTV (press release) (blog)He has appeared with other popular cowboy singers and poets such as Ian Tyson, Chr LeDoux, Waddie Mitchell, The Sons of the San Joaquin, Sourdough Slim and Don Edwards at many cowboy poetry and music festivals throughout the country.
- The Poetâ€™s Brother, or â€˜A death in the familyâ€™: the experience of mourning and commemoration in the Sassoon family
Almost fifty years after his death Siegfried Sassoon continues to exert a powerful ... Siegfried himself attempted to resolve his feelings about the loss of his brother via poetry but his subsequent effort, dated 18 December 1915, entitled â€˜Brothers ...
- Philip Pullman announces The Book of Dust as follow-up to His Dark Materials
For the many global fans of Philip Pullmanâ€™s fantasy trilogy, His Dark Materials, the excellent and exciting ... stories that make you want to read all night, but meditations on poetry, philosophy, metaphysics, science and religion.
- Brave five-year-old who touched the hearts of people across the world when she 'married' her best friend is laid to rest with a funeral fit for a princess
The girl ranked marrying her friend Harrison Grier, six ... Eileidh's sister, Cerys, 13, read out a poem which featured the lines 'we're sisters for life'. As the ceremony concluded, a song from one of Eileidh's favourite films - Let it Go from the ...
- Saturday celebration set for revered educator Elizabeth Kingâ€™s 100th birthday
Former students of a revered Athens educator are planning a special birthday celebration for her ... Another accomplished Athens woman, Willa Deane Birchmore, wrote a poem for Kingâ€™s remarkable career when King left the classroom in 1978.
- Liz Lochhead discusses personal loss on Desert Island Discs
â€œNow people speak to me about it all the time and tell me their sad stories. â€œSo Iâ€™m glad that poem (Favourite Place) was helpful to people but sometimes at poetry readings people ask me to read it, and I canâ€™t.â€ But the Some Old Photographs ...
- Why Toronto publisher BookThug is getting into the record business
who is also currently working on an album based on his poetry soundtracks. â€œHearing a poet is almost more accessible than trying to read a poet.â€ A couple of years ago, Whiteman pitched an idea to his old friend Jay MillAr, the founder and publisher of ...
- Beautiful Destination Wedding in Islamorada
This beach wedding right here is the stuff poems are made of. Caitlin and Zach made their way to Islamorada, a Florida island, for a destination beach wedding to rival all others. With Gianny Campos doing camera duty, Floral Fantasy arranging incredible ...
- Masochismâ€™s Gem-Like Flames
The plots of novels from Wuthering Heights to Jude the Obscure, she shows, are wound around erotic tableaux in which women perpetually ... their maddening detail â€” they are psychologically intense prose poems aspiring to self-sufficiency.
- Tragedy in a Romance
In a time where hope of love is lost, A young man meets a perfect girl. He wants to make her happy at all cost, To him, she had more beauty than a pearl. This young maiden, though, was in love, She had found the perfect man. She believed he was sent from ...
- Mayor Carpenter Inaugurates First HindiUSA Poetry Contest
Children of all ages gathered together at the auditorium of Oak Street Elementary School on January 21st to take part in their first ever Hindi poetry contest orchestrated by Dr. Sanjay Gupta, founder of the Basking Ridge Hindi School, and several volunteers.