Poetry news via Google, MSN, and Yahoo!
- Mai Der Vang, Karla Huston lead free local poetry events this week
Three free events this week give local readers chances to experience the power and variety of contemporary poetry. They include a visit by an award-winning Hmong-American writer and a talk by Wisconsin poet laureate Karla Huston.
- Author Brett Fleishman releases amusing introductory poetry book for grades K-2
If The Earth Is Roundâ€¦ (Beginner: Vol 1) contains 21 short, lighthearted rhyming poems designed for both loving adults who enjoy reading to children who are not yet capable of reading independently, as well as for elementary school students who are just ...
- Writing Tip: 7 Ways to Write about Love
Even an erotic love. This is the type of love we wish for in our ... Now that you have an idea of love from many aspects, let the love poetry flow. The cure for most of the worldâ€™s ailments is love, so share your affections to help heal the wounds.
- At His Own Wake, Celebrating Life and the Gift of Death
â€œBirth and death, deliveries in and out â€” I find it very transferable ... The day before, when Ms. Allport asked him if there was a poem he would like read, he asked for a Catholic one: The Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi. Standing at his feet ...
- SHE CHRONICLES: â€œFor Mamas Who Have Considered Suicide While Loving Daughters With Open Woundsâ€ a poem by Crystal Tennille Irby
I carry her like child in womb in my soul ... work across multiple artist disciplines that centers on the Black experience. She is a spoken word poetry grand slam champion, published writer, actress and current cohost of Dem Black Mamas, a podcast ...
- Sasural Simar Ka couple Dipika Kakar and Shoaib Ibrahim were the most generous hosts at their wedding â€“ read details!
They were planning a destination wedding but Shoaibâ€™s father wanted his son to marry ... Dipika Kakar of Sasural Simar Ka sums up the emotion of being a proud home owner in a poem - watch video!
- Happy Poetry Friday Birthday Treasures
Welcome to my birthday poetry party. I am a birthday triplet with Linda Mitchell and Julieanne Harmatz, both of whom I originally met through blogging. Now they are real life writing critique friends. Hop over to their blogs to say Happy Birthday!
- Why we need Black poets more than ever in the fight against white supremacy
Last year after months of protesting and being angry at the world similar to how things are now, I wrote, â€œthe world hands Black poets a mountain of Black rage and says, â€˜put it into words.â€™ And we do our best, often times failing, but never ...
- Rhythm of Lake Jackson inspires poetry group
Approximately one year ago, my husband and I moved into our new house on Lake Jackson. We must have seen over 30 houses in just a few weeks, but nothing spoke to us until we stepped into our soon-to-be home and saw the most unbelievable view of the lake ...
- An Aesthetics of Kin and the Rights of the Child in Minor U.S. Literatures
This lecture in particular examines the rights of the child and the "right to family," in tandem with the aesthetics of kin advanced by minor literatures.
- Extended transcript: Bill Murray on music, poetry and Huck Finn's conscience
You're the poetry man. Who knew? MURRAY ... You are absolutely fearless as you fall. It's funny. But the conditions put you back in your body. And being completely back in your body, your mind isn't over there or over there. Your emotions aren't all ...
- News poetry: Fracking elegy
Like this story? Steal it! Feel free to republish it in part or in full, just please give credit to The Colorado Independent and add a link to the original. Got a tip? Story pitch? Send us an e-mail. Follow The Colorado Independent on Twitter.
- Bob Weir officiates backstage wedding at Citi Field
It was a wedding of Deadhead proportions ... The ceremony took place in a â€œVIP roomâ€ where the legendary rocker â€œcame in and said a poem and the â€˜I doâ€™s,'â€ another attendee recalled adding, â€œHe said beautiful things.â€
- Childrenâ€™s Laureate Chris Riddell talks politics, poetry, and pictures
Childrenâ€™s Laureate Chris Riddell brought a unique performance to Chipping Norton Literary Festival this week, delivering his personal style of talk through the medium of drawing. Riddellâ€™s powerful sense of identity is demonstrated in seconds of ...
- Saving poetry in endangered languages
... Poetry Library has commissioned four poets to write new poems in threatened languages, or languages lost to them personally. Joy Harjo will write in the language of her own Native American Mvskoke (Creek) Nation; Northern Irish poet Gearooid Mac ...